What is Telepathy?
Telepathy comes from the Greek tele (distant) and pathe (feeling). It describes mind to mind communication of thoughts, ideas and feelings by psychic means.
The word telepathy was coined by the psychical researcher Frederic Myers in 1882, and proved much more catchy than thought-transference, as it was formerly known.
Telepathy is fairly common, most people have occasional flashes of mind reading – at least enough to make them realize that there is something in it. As with all paranormal abilities like clairvoyance and clairsentience however, some people are more naturally talented than others.
Psychics, healers, counselors, holistic therapists, or any job which really benefits from being able to read people’s minds (such as police work, legal or sales), are likely to attract people with telepathy skills, if perhaps unwittingly.
How to Pronounce Telepathy
Listen to Karina say telepathy and I am telepathic
How Do You Know You Are Communicating Telepathically?
In parapsychology, telepathy is described as the paranormal ability to pick up thoughts and feelings, using extrasensory perception (ESP). Other types of ESP include claircognizance and precognition. Telepathy however, is not a form of divination, fortune telling or premonition, because it does not ‘predict’ events. Rather, it is primarily the act of receiving or sending information about what is presently happening.
When you send telepathic thoughts, you are acting as the sender, and when you receive thoughts (pick them up from other people) you are the receiver. Some people will be better at sending than receiving, or vice versa.
If you are acting as the receiver of thoughts, the most obvious sign that you have picked up someone’s feelings or thoughts, is that they pop into your head out of the blue. Typically, your first reaction will be ‘oh yes, I forgot about you, I must phone you.’ A telepathic thought feels different to intuition, because it is very clear and directional, you instantly know what to do with the message. You understand that there will be a reason why the message was sent, and what you are to do with it.
It is easier to receive thoughts telepathically when the sender is feeling ‘charged’, suddenly very happy and excited, or very sad, anxious or worried. Strong emotions boost transmission.
For example, you think of your cat out of the blue, and then you realize you forgot to unlock the cat flap before leaving for work. Animals are good at telepathically transmitting their needs, especially when they are annoyed. [Source: Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home: And Other Unexplained Powers of Animals, 2011 by Dr Rupert Sheldrake]
If you are sending thoughts to someone, it’s not as easy to know if your experiment is working, unless that person changes their behavior as a result. For example, let’s say that you want someone to ring you and then, they do. Great! However, if they don’t phone, it is not necessarily a sign that you failed to transmit.
You may well have transmitted your thought correctly, but they just don’t want to connect with you. You can only plant a thought, like an acorn. The other person retains their free will to act as they wish. This is particularly important to accept, if you are trying to use telepathy in your love life.
In all instances, strong emotions boost the signal. This is why you really do need to have a strong emotional attachment to the person for this to work. It is also worth noting, that it is just as easy to send someone negative or angry thoughts as positive ones.
If you find a yellow and white mixed color feather, it is a sign that you have telepathic ablities worth developing.
How Does Telepathy Work?
Research into mind to mind communication shows:
- Women, and those who identify as feminine, tend to be better at telepathy than men. This is because telepathy is closely tied to emotion, and women tend to be more in tune with their emotions and intuition.
- Brain scans show that a recipient’s brave waves change to match those of the sender. This is evidence that telepathy has some biological connection.
- Telepathy is adversely affected by drugs but improved by caffeine.
- The more impaired your physical senses become, particularly sight and hearing, the stronger your telepathy becomes. This is why, the older you become, the more likely you are to develop telepathically.
- Most people have some degree of telepathy, and studies show it is more likely to happen spontaneously in times of crisis. For example, when a mother suddenly feels their child is in danger from a distance.
- The more emotionally close you are to someone, the more likely you are to develop a telepathic connection. [Source: Investigating paranormal phenomena: Functional brain imaging of telepathy]
Some theories about mind reading:
- Telepathy can appear in the form of clairaudience, you hear the person’s voice in your mind saying something.
- The solar plexus chakra is possibly your sending and receiving station in your body for telepathic messages. Some occultists claim this chakra is the center of the sympathetic nervous system, which directs the body’s response to danger and other intense emotions. When someone is excited or emotionally charged, powerful energy waves are emitted from the solar plexus. The solar plexus receives the same feeling that was emitted, person to person, which explains why the vibrations of panic, fear and anger are so contagious.
Thoughts Are Waves of Energy
One possible explanation for telepathy is the theory of radio-like brain wave frequencies.
Every thought and emotional feeling you have, every creation of an idea is accompanied by the release of energy. Energy cannot die, it transforms into something else. For example, a current of electricity transmits over a wire and is transformed into light; coal is transformed into heat.
In the same way, the activity released by a thought or emotional state is released as telepathic waves of energy. Those waves of vibration travel in every direction. When they come into contact with a person who is sufficiently sensitive to register them, or who is attune to your personal vibration, they are retransformed back into the original thought or mental state as originally sent out.
It’s Like a Telephone
Think of it like talking into a telephone. Your voice is transformed into waves of electricity which travel over the phone line. When it reaches the other end of the telephone circuit, it is transformed back into sound waves which can be heard by the listener.
“If you want to find the secrets of the Universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration. What are energy, frequency and vibrations? Light. They’re all properties of light.”Nikola Tesla (1856-1943)
(The guy Albert Einstein called the smartest person who ever lived)
Love and Telepathy
When you google ‘telepathy’ these sorts of questions pop up:
What is telepathic love?
Is telepathy possible in a relationship?
If you’re asking this sort of question, you are probably less likely to be interested in the metaphysical science. So, let’s deal with your love questions here. Perhaps you are hoping that if you ’emit’ enough thoughts to someone, he or she will start paying more attention to you. Or, perhaps you’re wondering if the fact that you and your beloved have started finishing each others sentences, is a sign of telepathy?
All great questions.
What is Telepathic Love?
If you google this term, it quickly follows up with more google prompts such as:
Are people in love telepathic?
How do you send telepathic messages to someone you love?
How do I know if someone has received my telepathic message?
Yes, it is true that people in love can develop some degree of telepathy. Studies show, that we are more likely to build a telepathic connection with someone we are closely bonded with, like a parent, child or lover. In other words, you can’t make a complete stranger (like a Hollywood star) think about you, unless you’ve met him or her in real life and formed some sort of human connection.
Love Telepathy is Uncommon
However, repeated instances of telepathy are still fairly uncommon, even in close relationships. You may have read in a glossy magazine that the signs of telepathic love are things like your mood changes with your lover or you know what your lover will say before they say it. Most of these occurrences are simply, two people getting to know each other at a deeper level. There may be empathy, intuition here even, but it is not necessarily a case of reading each other minds.
Furthermore, if you love someone, but they do not love you, or they want to move on – then your attempts at telepathy are likely to meet a brick wall. Telepathy works best when both sender and receiver are open to communication with each other; or at least there are no obvious blocks.
If you are an accomplished telepath, then you will know, because you will have witnessed clear signs of your ability, outside of romantic relationships. You will have found yourself thinking intently about a certain person, like a friend or colleague and afterwards are told by that person that “I found myself thinking about you, at such and such a time”. In some of these cases it is difficult to determine which one started the thinking.
If this has happened to you fairly frequently, at least a few times a year, then you know you have a skill worth developing. See psychic training for some starter points.
- “Seat of the soul”? The structure and function of the pineal gland in women with alleged spirit possession—Results of two experimental studies. Brain Behavior. 2020 Marco Bastos et al
- Study: Investigating paranormal phenomena: Functional brain imaging of telepathy. 2008, International Journal of Yoga. Ganesan Venkatasubramanian et al.
- Study: The Relationship of Mental Telepathy to Trauma and Dissociation. Sharon K. Farber, Ph.D. 2018. International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation. PDF: https://netforum.avectra.com/public/temp/ClientImages/ISSTD/6f7a90bb-50c9-44ce-9fb0-7e6bb2c97189.pdf
- Book: The Presence of the Past: Morphic Resonance and the Habits of Nature. Dr Rupert Sheldrake
NEXT READ > Remote Viewing
Share This Article
Karina, author of Tarot in 5 Minutes.
Latent telepathy, retrocognitive, precognitive and intuitive telepathy, emotive and superconscious